Skip to main content


Financial aid comes from the federal and local governments. It's money that helps a student pay for education expenses at a postsecondary school (e.g. college, career school, and graduate school). Federal student aid covers expenses such as tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, and transportation. Financial aid often comes in the form of both grants and loans. Helpful links include:

The U.S. Department of Education's Federal Student Aid website is a valuable federal student aid resource to learn how grants, work-study, and loans help make college affordable.